A maternity photo shoot is a special way to capture the beauty and wonder of pregnancy. It’s a time to celebrate your growing family and create memories that will last a lifetime. At Lin Ellen Studios in South Jersey, I love to create a personalized session just for you!
But before you can start posing, there are a few things you need to think about and do to prep for your shoot.
- Choose the right photographer. This is an important decision, as you’ll want someone who is experienced in taking maternity photos and who can capture your unique story. Ask around for recommendations or do some online research to find a photographer whose style you love. Check out potential photographer’s social media accounts – always a good start. Make sure you know where they are located! Do they have a studio? Outdoor sessions can be lovely, but weather can wreak havoc on scheduling. My Vineland NJ studio is always warm and inviting 🙂
- Set a budget. This will help you narrow down your options and find a photographer who fits your needs. Photographers operate two different ways. Some offer an all inclusive package that includes the session and set products and / or images. Others offer a sitting fee and the opportunity to come back in for an in-person sales meeting for you to view your images and make your selections. Decide what you are most comfortable with. Another good question to ask about is bundled Collections for maternity and baby shoots. My Collections offer a discount if you add newborn and baby sessions.
- Ensure you understand what is included with your shoot. I offer full use of my Client Closet with over 100 gowns and styling options for you to choose from! I also include family with maternity shoots. At Lin Ellen Studios, I offer an inclusive package for your shoot with a number of digital images included. You know up front what your costs will be! I also add several upgrade options for your session – such as the super popular Milk Bath upgrade. I also offer gorgeous products and wall art to choose as an addon to your session.
- Schedule your shoot. Maternity photo shoots typically book up quickly, so it’s important to schedule yours well in advance. I schedule my sessions between 28 – 34 weeks, but it really depends on how mom is feeling. This will give you plenty of time to prepare and make sure everything goes smoothly on the day of the shoot.
- If you would like to really treat yourself, book a professional makeup and hairstyling session. This is a great way to look your best for your shoot. A professional will be able to help you choose the right makeup and hairstyle for your face shape and hair type.
- Drink plenty of water. This will help your skin look its best and keep you hydrated throughout the shoot.
- Don’t forget to exfoliate the couple of weeks before your shoot. Your skin will GLOW!! No need to worry about any sort of faux tanning.
- Get a good night’s sleep. This will help you look and feel your best on the day of the shoot.
- Arrive early. This will give you time to relax and get settled before the shoot begins.
Following these tips will help you prep for a successful maternity photo shoot. So relax, enjoy the process, and capture this special time in your life!
Here are some additional tips:
- If you have any concerns about your body, talk to me ahead of time. I can help you choose poses and wardrobe that flatter your figure.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. EVERYONE feels awkward! I always give you pointers and help you feel comfortable in front of the camera.
- Think about how bare you are comfortable being. Some sessions are just for you and your partner, others might be interested in displaying social media and want a less bare look. All depends on what YOU want!
- Most importantly….Have fun! This is such a special time in your life, so enjoy the process and make sure to capture all the memories.